Saturday, December 6, 2008

Christmas Lights

My Kitchen Window getting ready for Christmas

I like holidays. Yes here in America they can get far too commercial, but home by home every home really does retain that spirit of good will so crucial to nurturing humankind, decency, and dignity as we are all free to celebrate however we might wish.

Married to an American Muslim whose large family tree has roots that reach right back into historic Palestine, the way I celebrate has changed a bit over the years. Become better really as the years roll by and I raise our children and read books and explore the Internet and learn more and more about the world past and present.

And the older I get the more I appreciate my husband Jaffar. His powers of observation and vast general knowledge never fail to impress me. He thinks clearly- he's got a great sense of humor and yet he works so hard, even on his days off. I cringe when I read or hear negative things and hate mongering targeting Muslims for the Muslims I know really are simply people- human beings, good bad and indifferent just like all human beings.

My husband Jaffar with our sons Miqdad & James in our dinning room

This year, very much appreciating the importance of family and adoring my own family I appreciate more and more the Christmas images and symbols with a father, mother and "...unto us a child is born."

As with everything what you bring to something is what it becomes. Every person is free to contribute each in their own way to help every endeavor become better... and every symbol more significant.

I am convinced that the most important component of civilization is the family- and for me at least Christmas celebrates that- Christmas celebrates love not only for one's own family but for all of humankind.

All symbols of Christmas, even the most commercial ones, reach back to the roots of family in one way or another, and much of what we do to celebrate Christmas is to bring warmth and goodness and cheer and welcome into our homes.

The same is true of many Islamic feasts as they are celebrated with family and friends and children often are given gifts- and the poor are given charity. There is a great deal of generosity in the Arab world, as well as a tradition of giving guests a warm welcome- and delectable food. This is our heritage- every one's heritage really as Arab ways are very much part of our modern world.

Indian Muslims pray at the <span class=J

Muslims throughout the world are celebrating Eid al-Adha, the festival of sacrifice.

Most Americans don't know that yesterday was the Islamic feast - the Holy Day/Holiday Eid Al Adha "The Feast of the Sacrifice" and it coincides with and marks the end of the Holy Pilgrimage to Mecca. It was a day off for many people in the Middle East and because of that my husband was able to enjoy a long chat with his father on the phone.

Visiting the Middle East at Christmas time you can hear Christmas carols in shops- and see Christmas lights and trees. Not as many as in America, and also in addition to a sprinkling of Christmas lights and symbols there are many Ramadan lights which I wish we had here- a crescent moon and a star that fits in a window or up on a wall.

Every year my husband gets out the ladder and he puts Christmas lights up for me. Every year they are a bit different, depending on how much time we might have to twiddle with designs.

This year we had time- but it was cold. I am my husband's helpmate as he puts up the lights. I hold things and hand them to him. We work well together.

Twilight and twinkling lights... the sun set as my husband finished putting up our Christmas Lights. I wish my camera could have also captured the V of geese flying overhead, and then the rising crescent moon - encircled with the glow of ice crystals.

Our reindeer now gaze across the street at our neighbors reindeer.

Every year on seeing Christmas lights, I fondly remember years ago the many nights when our boys were very little- how adorable they were as they'd toddle and dash up to their bedroom window at bedtime... and stand together on tippy toes peaking out to see the pretty lights on the house across the street.

I like having nice neighbors... and I like Holidays... and my home and family. In growing a garden for Palestine today this Christmas season, I am hoping that more and more Americans learn about Palestine past, present and future...

for Palestine inspires





WHEREAS recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world....Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948

1 comment:

Anne Selden Annab said...

When is Eid al-Adha in 2008?

Eid al-Adha in 2008 is on Monday, the 8th of December.

Note that in the Muslim calander, a holiday begins on the sunset of the previous day, so observing Muslims will celebrate Eid al-Adha on the sunset of Sunday, the 7th of December.

Although Eid al-Adha is always on the same day of the Islamic calendar, the date on the Gregorian calendar varies from year to year, since the Gregorian calendar is a solar calendar and the Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar. This difference means Eid al-Adha moves in the Gregorian calendar approximately 11 days every year. The date of Eid al-Adha may also vary from country to country depending on whether the moon has been sighted or not.
http://www.when-is.com/eid-al-adha-2008.asp

Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it... all I wish for Palestine and for our world is peace and light.."

  Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it......