Monday, March 3, 2008

Carrots

Today I was delighted today to find a comment from another blogger who loves both gardens and Palestine. A





http://www.shammout.com/ "Palestine: The Exodus and the Odyssey" is a collection of 19 large murals painted by Ismail and Tamam Shammout from 1997 to 2000." Ismail Shammout (1930-2006): Artist, Activist, Legend

Tamam Al-Akhal. She married her artist colleague Ismail Shammout, moving various places and sharing with him the art exhibitions held in various countries of the world. They moved to Amman Jordan in 1994. http://www.shammout.com/bio-tam.htm

Jaffa: Bride of the Sea by Tamam Al-Akhal, 1997
http://www.palestinecalendar.org/march.html

Her inspiring paintings illustrate the Palestine online calender- and one of my favorite ones is

Do Not Forsake The Steed by Tamam Al-Akhal, 2000

And so in growing my public garden for Palestine today I want to step into a total Utopian fantasy of the very best I can think of- a large rambling garden where we have enough land to have horses. Right now dreaming as big a dream as I can dream, my imagined garden is on the West Coast, close enough to overlook the ocean, echoing historic Palestine as its far western edge borders the Mediterranean sea. And our garden is big- huge- and intricate, with many sub gardens and greenhouses- our budget is limitless... and off to the side, off the right side are meandering meadows where the horses are. And we'd have Arabian horses and riding trails where people could hire the horses to ride... or simply lean on the fence and watch the horses play. And we'd have gentle ponies and maybe donkeys even for children to ride on a special garden path created for the little ones...

And children could pull up a carrot or two in the children's garden- and be taught how to hold it out in an open hand, and how to tuck their thumb out of the way so that the horse doesn't accidentally nibble it off as he nuzzles up his crunchy garden fresh morsel of food.



notes

9 comments:

alajnabiya said...

I am glad you enjoyed the pictures.

If your garden was in Southern California, you could have all the same plants as in Palestine. The climate is nearly the same, but winter is colder and wetter here in Palestine. I was thinking of doing some posts on all the quintessential Palestinian plants; olives, figs, almonds, pomegranates, askidinia (loquat), sabr (cactus), grapes and za'atr. It's much more fun to think about these things than the news.

BTW, I am from Pennsylvania too. I do miss those lilacs!

zakreen said...

"Spring take me to my hometown, even as a flower." Thus chanted the great singer Fairuz.

Indeed such an inspirational blog renews the health and regenerates the soul.
I cannot help but to browse into it for a daily dosage of a refreshment .Whilst reading it, I weave instantly many flowery images of my hometown Palestine and the orange orchards of my grandparents in Jaffa, Lidd and Ramlah. Here in my little haven, the myriad rainbow-coloured wild flowers have already sprouted up and fill every nook and cranny; the little birds of all kinds freely flutter their wings from one branch into another and chirp happily announcing the coming of a new season. Yes, spring is on the horizon....All this and more , I keep constructing in my mind for all around is green and luxuriant.
It's all heavenly because the more we observe such beautiful creations of nature, the greater the bond is to mother earth.
Therfore Annie, "your garden" is to many a "welcoming place" in which we "savour peace,and goodness".

Anne Selden Annab said...

Yes Alajnabiya- I LOVED your pictures- such a perfect garden... and so well tended!

Yes it is much more fun to think about nice things- than all this awful news... its imperative to restore the spirit- relax into beauty and natural goodness at least for a bit.

I would be fascinated if you did do posts on "quintessential Palestinian plants; olives, figs, almonds, pomegranates, askidinia (loquat), sabr (cactus), grapes and za'atr."

I am not really a gardener as much as I am a lover of gardens- technical details are beyond me but thankfully there are many talented people on earth who know how to garden well, and they know plant history and lure too. Sounds like you are one!

Thansk so much for writing me a note: )

Anne Selden Annab said...

Zakreen- thank you- I very much appreciate your postive energy and words. I am not sure I can post every day though, as my days are filled with distractions...things I must do, and family I must tend to more than a blog... but I will as often as I can... your comment is very poetic... very peasant to read and be right there with you

zakreen said...

Never mind, the blog remains an encyclopedia: so rich and informative. Guess what? I've dissemanted it from Germany to the far East and West...

Unknown said...

I found you by way of Al Ajnabiya's blog. I loved the way you talk about your husband. MashAllah. You really praise him in just the right ways. I was touched. We all need to learn to do the same. And we often forget. MashAllah. Keep up the good work. By the way, I am writing from Amman.

Anne Selden Annab said...

Thanks Nicole : ) I like looking for the good in people- with him its easier than most!

shinara said...

I plan on living in Palestine someday with my husband. Until then, we visit, visit, visit. Gardening and art is my first love and I really would like to learn how to garden and improve soil in Palestine. To care for the land is as important as caring for children. Hopefully, you and others can give me advice on how to do this. Are there any websites that would help me with this, as well? I would also like a website that shows the flowers and medicinal herbs of Palestine. I plan on drawing or stitching a collection of flowers of Palestine.

Anne Selden Annab said...

Thank you so much for asking about gardens & Palestine!

For good links to explore start with The Week In Palestine
http://www.thisweekinpalestine.com/cyber.php
The Week In Palestine

The first book that springs to my mind in response to your question is this gem :
Spring Is Here
by Tania Tamari Nasir & Mary Jabaji Tamari
An Arabic/English publication featuring original embroidered designs of 23 Palestinian spring flowers with landscape photographs of the spring in Palestine accompanied by relevant literary texts, including poetry, on Palestinian flora. This book is a must for all those who love flowers and embroidery.

There are many books, both old and new, as well as many websites that well help give you hints about the flora and fauna of Palestine.

for instance
Discover Palestine Natural Heritage
http://www.visitpalestine.ps/index.php?lang=en&page=1231669605443

Flora and Fauna in Palestine
http://flora-fauna-palestine.webs.com/faunainpalestine.htm

Flora of Syria, Palestine and Sinai (1896)

Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it... all I wish for Palestine and for our world is peace and light.."

  Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it......