Friday, July 11, 2008

Mid East Market

Earlier this week we were delighted to see in our local newspaper a feature story on a new shop just opened not far from where we live (in Central Pennsylvania.) We dashed out to see what delectables it might have, for it is hard to find many of the ingredients for recipes that we like, and even basic good bread.

What a pleasure this new shop is, run by a very pleasant man named Fares who likes to laugh and welcome all his customers in, carefully listening to what they might want him to carry.

His is careful not to offend. He wants ambiance, not political and/or religious arguments, and he wants to do well by his customers. I do hope his shop does well, and stays in business for a long long time to come.

Meanwhile, our garden is flourishing.

Every day offers up a different bloom and I am intrigued by them all.

And our 16 year old son finished making his custom made electric guitar this week... he did a amazing job, doing all the research, measuring, drilling, cutting, sanding and painting and most all the other work himself. He was wise enough to ask his father for help when he needed it, like with the wiring. And now all our youngest son wants to do is play play play his guitar!

Our oldest son is busy with his first real job, and has worked every day for seven straight days. In a month he will be off to college.

It's been a busy summer- and a good summer for us all. I like seeing our kids grow up. I like who they have turned out to be.

Again, I should be thinking of a way to tie this into Palestine....

One thing I am very grateful for is our freedom here in America to believe in what we want to believe in, and our relative freedom to speak out: As a citizen of this country I am free to remember Palestine and to believe in Palestine. No one can force me to idolize "Israel"- and no one can force me to collaborate and collude with Zionism.

I am free to explore the calls for Boycott and, with compassion, create my own personal boycott of all things Zionist.

Boycott committee launches comprehensive website : Announcement, Palestinian BDS National Committee, 9 July 2008

And I am free to think and dream whatever I want... to quote a flower pot I recently saw in a catalogue:

"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground"


People might think I am crazy for believing in Palestine- but I do anyway. Against all odds and a great deal of harassment and pressure to simply move on and forget, the people of historic Palestine have remembered their homeland and the huge injustice that is "Israel" today.

And one thing I have noticed about the Middle East- the people there really really really like families and children. It's a cultural thing: Mothers are honored and respected and children are enjoyed... and so are gardens.

I want blue back

I will never forgive Israel
for taking blue
my favorite color-
taking it as if they own it

I want blue back

I want blue to be every thing ethereal

I want blue to be of heaven
not the hell
Zionists have made
of "the Holy Land"

I want blue to be free

to be every mood and any meaning
it might want to be

& I want blue
to be of Palestine

To be known as natural beauty
and hope

to be cherished as one of many noble
colors

that bring each other out
in the best ways

to be a lover's eyes to happily drown in
as his glance lingers reaching into me
to be beloved and loving

to be both background and fore

to be a kindred spirit
sparking response


For Palestine inspires....

2 comments:

Anne Selden Annab said...

Patriot News, Hbg PA

Mideast market stocks spices, oil, meats


Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Just back from vacation to find plenty of restaurant news in my e-mail inbox. Here's the latest:

Fares Farhat has switched career paths from operating a pizza shop and working construction to starting up the Mid East Market, 829 State St., Lemoyne, at the State Street Plaza.

Good thing he did. This is not your ordinary central Pennsylvania ethnic market. It has feng shui with a trickling fountain, calm music and neat shelves.

"You have to make it welcoming. We definitely want to set ourselves apart from the standard mindset," Farhat said.

Shelves are stocked with packaged spices, pitas, coffee, basmati rice, olive oils, stuffed grape leaves, red lentils, orange blossom water, figs, dates, sheep milk cheese and preserved lemons. The emphasis is on the cuisines of Northern Africa and southwest Asia.

The prices are right, too. I eyed a large jar of preserved lemons for $2.99, but many of the spices sell for under $2. (In fact, he was clean out of cardamom and cumin on account of demand.)

If there is one thing at Mid East Market you want to check out, it is the meats. Farhat is a butcher and his family owns a farm near Halifax where they raise sheep and goats.

He butchers all of the meat including chicken, veal and beef acquired from local farmers following halal guidelines. Meat cuts can be ordered ahead of time.

Chicken breasts, wings and thighs sell for about $1.89 a pound while leg of lamb runs about $5.99. Butchering is done once a week.

Eventually, Farhat would like to introduce fresh produce such as fava beans, cactus pears and pomegranates.

Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday and by appointment only Sunday-Tuesday.

Anne Selden Annab said...

Sad to report Faris had to recently shut down his wonderful MidEast Market as his father was ill and very much needed his help... but we made a good friend and hope to remain in contact with him as he is a good contact for lamb - as well as a really nice guy!

Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it... all I wish for Palestine and for our world is peace and light.."

  Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it......