Monday, October 20, 2008

It's October- a good time to start thinking about hats

I am fascinated by the fact the morning glories have continued to bloom profusely. Not for much longer though as it really is getting nippy here.

Earlier this week the autumn wind really picked up for the first time this fall. I was standing at our kitchen window overlooking our back garden while washing dishes.

All of a sudden the tree tips up on the hill up behind us tossed around vigorously... and then everywhere bright gold (infused with late afternoon sun light) leaves let go.... and drifted down.

Leaves were fluttering down everywhere the eye could see. A month's worth of leaves all in one moment.

And it was one of those moments like many when you can choose to either simply enjoy it all as much as possible in a totally be here now kind of way... or you can jerk away to dash over to grab a camera and leap outside hoping you can capture the magic.

I chose to go with the be here now - relax, breath in deeply and smile gazing out, marveling at the magnificence of it all.

Some years the rains pull off the autumn leaves before you get to see their full glory. I was worried this might be one of those years, but heavens our weather has been perfect this autumn.
I am a big believer in trying to see things in the best possible light.

Perhaps it is playing with my digital camera that is training me to be more aware of how things are framed, and training me to focus tightly, training me to try several approaches and to go back and try again when the light might be different- and then again the next day.


Free to take as many photos as I want, I am able to really play with composition... and often exhausted by walls and walls of words the idea of a visual poem becomes more and more important to me.

I like to be playful.

Balanced on roof shadow

And I confess that as I go gray I am quickly heading toward totally eccentric. I have silly monkey slippers that I like to wear sometimes. They cheer me up, they really are silly. The other day I was trying to take a picture of my silly slippers in the autumn leaves. The colors and shapes seemed so perfect together. I was right under the dogwood tree in our back yard, posing my feet and taking pictures and as often happens a bird was up in the dogwood tree singing something to me.

Silly silly me did not look up. I should have because I did not notice until he started to fly way that it was a bright red cardinal closeup, two feet away from my head- would have been a perfect picture with all the autumn leaves behind him... instead that magic moment was captured by monkey slippers :-)


In growing a garden for Palestine I think it is important to have fun- to be able to laugh and relax and recharge... to find and nurture positive energy in order to move forward in positive ways.

Jaffar picked the last tomato of the year this past week. I thought he was going to take it inside so I could add it into our dinner salad but he ate there on the spot instead. Shared it with me. Was a rather nice snack. Heavens what a joy and a pleasure our garden has been! And already we are planning next year's garden. My mother-in-law sent us some petunia seeds from a mail order catalog, plus we have some Queen Anne's Lace seeds I harvested in hopes of having some grow up on our upper hillside.

A garden really is an ongoing project... and so is a museum....

I was delighted to see this past week that the Arab-American Museum is showing an important film later this month.

"Chronicles of a Refugee is a 6-part documentary film series looking at the global Palestinian refugee experience over the last 60 years. Starting with 'al-Nakba' (catastrophe) in 1948 (part I) and continuing through repeated community and individual expulsions (part II) and enduring discrimination by virtue of being Palestinian (part III), the first three episodes are more historical and informative, presenting an almost comprehensive review of 60 years of dispossession."

I like going to the Arab American National Museum museum web site .... its very inspiring... empowering actually! I want my children to be proud of their history and their heritage on every side, and I want them to have good role models.

Typewriter
Portable typewriter. Carried by Helen Thomas early in her career, a tag marked "PRESS" and "TRIP OF THE PRESIDENT" is still tied to the typewriter's handle. On this tag, is written, "Helen Thomas UPI". She was cited by the World Almanac as one of the 25 Most Influential Women in America. Gift of Helen Thomas.

It is fascinating to see the contributions that Arab-Americans have made to America.

Thankfully America in return has given many people the freedom and security and inspiration to be able to speak out about things that really matter to them.

Making sense of things is something human begins have been doing since time began... And so is loving our children- and grandchildren: This week I have been thrilled to see utterly absolutely ADORABLE baby pictures from good friends- good people- Arab Americans who have been, each in their own personal way, helping to create a positive and compelling paper trail proving that Palestine was and always will be...



I hope that in time more and more Palestinian Americans feel free to speak out about their roots before those stories are lost to the sands of time.

And from that growing reservoir of personal and family memories, I hope more and more stories emerge all over America to help explain Palestine to America in ways that America might understand and appreciate... so that America might seriously help Palestine return in full- with dignity and peace and justice for ALL.

For Palestine Inspires...
WHEREAS recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world....Universal Declaration of Human Rights, 1948

No comments:

Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it... all I wish for Palestine and for our world is peace and light.."

  Shereen Audi "I really wanted to spread some hope and positivity and give that feeling to the world and to everyone who needs it......